Monday, January 12, 2009

Staying warm on the southside.

We'll have to have a holiday edition soon, but in the meantime I wanted to share a quick and totally satisfying knit with you lovely people.

I fell totally in love with this pattern, sweetly named "Holding Hands and Feeding Ducks," but I didn't have the bulky yarn that could hold up to it.


And then, when I was in Texas, I spied this pepperminty Manos at my mom's new yarn store and couldn't walk away without it. Post NYE, I found myself in Chicago cozied up in front of a television, and this cowl was born!


I cast on 40 stitches, and ended up with a perfectly fitting cowl for Chicago. With a few strategically placed buttons, this kept my face warm from the biting winds that = winter in that fair land. (Of course, my actual neck was covered by a stormy wisp--but two knitted objects for one neck is acceptable in the windy city, or so I believe.)

If I made this for someone else, I think I would go with bigger buttons and maybe try a button band. These little buttons like to slip out of the not-actually-button-holes.

I hope I will be back there and able to wear this happy cowl again soon!

2 comments:

HEB said...

Being able to compare your star stitch with my attempt makes it pretty clear that it looks *much* better with this bulkier yarn. Lovely!

And double neckwarmers! I wish I had such a thing in college. But my guess is that this one did the lion's share of the work. (And I'm fine with that, I swear. The stormy wisp was intended for milder weather.)

kzwick said...

i am loving the knitting with buttons (both here and in the scarves that i suspect will grace this blog soon enough).