Monday, December 22, 2008

Duomo Hat


I love this hat and this yarn and this pattern!


The yarn is called Florin (yes, the city-state) and is an amazing aran cashmere by the pluckyknitter. The pattern is Brooklyn Tweed's Koolhaas, and together, they produced this warm, soft piece of headwear that reminds me strongly of the red roofs and church dome in Florence.

When I bought the yarn I had in mind a kind of Renaissance decorative stitch pattern, because I'd imagined it would be golden orange, but the actual hat turned out to have shades of brown that I absolutely fell in love with.


I've also been wanting to knit one of Brooklyn Tweed's patterns for a while now (his blog and the photos there are like knitting candy) and given how Miss HEB has been reworking hat patterns for her skeins of plucky aran cashmere, I thought I might try my hand the Koolhaas.

I knit most of this hat over Thanksgiving and during the drive up the coast from balmy southern CA to rainy northern, and then finished it up after my studio presentation. I will admit that, due perhaps to diminishing amounts of sleep, I did manage to forget where I was in the pattern at one point and never completely figured it out until after I'd taken a guess and moved on. Stitch marker for anyone who can identify the "oops" correctly!


This last shot is just to add a little atmosphere. I left my camera in California (also the reason for the dated pictures) and had to retake these hat pics here in Texas. You can see my sister's goats to the right, and beyond that fields and fields of other country happenings. It's been cool and grey here pretty steadily since my plane landed (5 hours late!) in Austin on Friday. I have to admit, even without the big Texas sky, these softly rolling hills and misty grey-purple trees and brush warm my heart just a tad. A cow just mooed very loudly in my direction to remind me to add: yes, there are also cows!

Gracing my neck is a little bit of self-indulgence (I'm giving the hat away! I deserve it!) that I think I'll be ripping out this afternoon. More on that once the yarn and I figure out what it should be.

2 comments:

Churchma said...

I love the hat pattern! I made up a pattern and knitted a hat in four hours the night I got home from a buying spree at Stitches East knitting expo in Baltimore - but it's too loose and I need to rip and redo - maybe using a real pattern next time.

HEB said...

My guess is that the oops is about 1 repeat from the top, where the Xs don't fully cross. Do I get a stitch marker? (I actually think that gives the hat extra character, so it was a fortunate mistake...)

I'm so glad you tried this pattern with this yarn. I seriously had contemplated it so many times and talked myself out of it. I was too afraid that I run out of yarn and be really irritated that I'd done all that cable-y knitting for nothing. Thank you for being braver than I! I will definitely copy you.